Saturday, March 1, 2008

Internet Ad- Smirinoff Tea Party

The biggest reason I really wanted discuss this Smrinoff advertisement is because I found it absolutely hilarious. I never saw it run on television, I actually found it on the the website www.firebrand.com, but I couldn't stop laughing at the whole thing. The spot is a rich, WASP-y version of a "gangsta" hip hop/rap video focusing on Smrinoff's new Raw Teas.

I would think that the target demographic for this ad would be women, ages 18-30. Men don't generally drink the pre-bottled mixed drinks, and would definitely be turned off by an ad that makes the men seem so un-masculine, snotty, preppy rich boys. I also don't think many younger men (or at least the ones I know) even know what a WASP is. But I showed this ad to four of my girlfriends in my apartment with me and we were all laughing at it, so it was successful with the humor in that respect. It's refreshing to see that instead of Smrinoff trying to make their product look cool, they actually accepted the geekiness of bottle drinks like this and use it to their advantage.

I did a little research about the spot and just found that the ad never actually ran on TV, but was a successful viral ad campaign launched by Smrinoff in 2006 that was incredibly popular on video sites like YouTube. I can't find any long term results, but some sources claim that when the product was launched there was a good reception.

No comments: