Wednesday, March 5, 2008

TV Ad 2- Burger King

True story. After seeing this advertisement on TV for the first time, I thought that Burger King really was taking away the Whopper. I don't even like Burger King (ew, their fries), and on a normal basis would choose almost any other fast food restaurant, most often Wendy's. I had never even had a Whopper before. But in all honesty, that week, I went to Burger King for a Whopper just to see what all the fuss was about (it was alright, nothing out of this world); and after pulling away from the drive through I realized the extent to which the ad made me aware of the product and the brand. I was so intrigued by the Whopper's popularity and the freak-out on the commercial, that when I was hungry that day and passed a BK, I just had to stop and try one. To me, a Wendy's loyalist, that's an effective ad.

I think one of the driving successful points of the ad was that it appealed to more or less anyone- anyone old enough to know what a Whopper is. Therefore with one single series of ads (that had to be cheap to make as well, since there was little production cost while taping their own customers on hidden cameras), BK did a number of things: 1) reminded brand loyalists about why they love the Whopper in the first place, and how it would impact them if it was gone (the emotional and sentimental attachment) 2) arouse the curiosity in people who have never had a Whopper about what makes them so great 3) reassured their customers that the company would never take away their beloved burger by causing a faux freak out then rewarding them with their desire 4) cemented the relationship between Burger King and the Whopper even more ("Without the Whopper, what will they call it? Burger Queen?")

No comments: